Extraction of Trani stone takes place following defined steps, with the support of our excavators and hammers that help us in a procedure that was far more complex in the past, in fact the extraction of the blocks was completely hand-made by the use of explosives, wooden wedges and wooden blocks and tackles et and with the strength of some men.
Instead, nowadays the procedure involvesfirst of all the clearing of green areas, the removal of plant soil until reaching mother rock. Once the block is detected our excavators, hammers and mechanic shovel provide to the extraction of the stone. After an accurate selection of the blocks, suitable for processing by competent staff, we move on to the squaring of the same blocks, performed by diamond wires, so the blocks pass into gangsaws where it is cut into slabs.
A last generation machinery has the important task to select slabs and transform it into final product only with first choice material. All our natural stone floors, tops and shower trays, etc… are subjected to different treatments, following the needs of our clients and their future usage.
The phases of stone processing and finishes
Not every soil present blocks suitable for extraction activity and their future use in the construction sector. Our quarries, instead are rich with precious materials, first of all the Biancone, serpeggiante and bronzetto, present in different layers of subsoil.
For the realization of the product 3 different stages of treatment are needed:
- Extraction of the rock from the quarry;
- First subdivision into blocks;
- Second subdivision into items of determined shape and dimensions;
Once slab is obtained the final operation consist into applying the desired finishing treatment on the material.
There are different treatment for the finishing of the material:
- Honing: superficial treatment that dampens and lightens the color giving a matt aspect and a smooth and flat surface. Used for outdoor coating especially in areas where climatic conditions are quite hard.
- Polishing: Gives brightness to the surface enhancing to the maximum natural shade of the stone.
- Bush-hammering: Makes stone surface similar to raw material giving a rough aspect to the material.
- Sandblasting: Stone is treated by a jet of under pressure sand . This operation makes the material vulnerable to atmospheric agents.